I love Chinese food and this dish is sooooo delicious! San Choy Bow is a mixture of minced meat served in crisp iceberg lettuce and eaten with your hands.
It is normally served as an appetizer but I like to have it as a main. It´s my first time cooking it and I am very happy with the result! In this recipe I´ve used chicken
but you can make it with any meat of your choice. The filling is full of flavor and quick and easy to make. Give it a try!
Chicken SAN CHOY BOW
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves, cut them into a round dish-like shape
- 3 tbsp olive oil ( avoid extra virgin as will add flavor )
- 500 gr minced chicken
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 8 shitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 125g can water chestnuts, rinsed and finely chopped
- coriander leaves, for garnish
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine ( a good substitute is dry sherry wine )
- 5ml sesame oil
Place lettuce leaves in iced water.
In a hot wok/frying pan, add oil and fry chicken until cooked and browned.
Add onions, mushrooms and chestnuts and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Mix all sauce ingredients together well and add to the pan. Stirring until combined with chicken mixture.
Remove mixture from heat. Divide evenly into lettuce cups, serve immediately.