This delicious Chicken in Pepitoria sauce is a classic Spanish dish. It is one of my mum´s favorites so have been eating it all my life.
Its distinctive flavor comes from saffron. It is an easy dish to prepare and is best when cooked with organic chicken. It doesn't need
to be marinated. In the original recipe, the sauce is thickened with ground almonds and boiled egg yolks but I prefer not to add
almonds. It is a light dish and I find saffron makes it very easy to digest! Hope you like this traditional recipe!
POLLO EN PEPITORIA
Adapted from Torresenlacocinatve
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 saffron threads
- 125 ml white wine
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 boiled eggs
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan/casserole over medium-high heat. Salt the chicken and brown it on all sides. Set aside.
- Turn heat to low. Add onion, 3 garlic cloves and salt to the pan. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the wine and let it reduce a bit.
- Put the chicken back in the pan and add the stock. Cover it and let it simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- In a mortar, place the saffron, 1 garlic clove, egg yolks. Grind with the pestle. Add 3 tbs of chicken stock from the pan and mix well. Add mixture to the pan and cook for another 10 minutes. This process will thicken the sauce. If it is still very liquid, remove the chicken and let the sauce boil for a few minutes until reduces and thickens to desired texture.
- Serve on a plate and to finalize, grate the egg whites over the chicken.